Supporting Heart Health
By The PHCD Team | February 8, 2016
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. Every year, 1 in 4 deaths are caused by heart disease. Related cardiac emergencies, like sudden cardiac arrest, are also leading causes of death in our nation. Every year, over 325,000 Americans experience out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.
The good news? Heart disease and other cardiac emergencies can often be prevented when people make healthy choices and manage their health conditions. And when an emergency does strike, individuals and communities can be prepared to respond.
Communities, health professionals, and families can work together to create opportunities for people to make healthier choices. In fact, Sonoma County has begun an ambitious campaign to reduce cardiovascular disease risks through early detection and health behavior management. As a leader in cardiac health efforts in Southern Sonoma County in addition to being an American Heart Association-certified CPR Training Center and backbone organization for the HeartSafe Community Initiative, PHCD is deeply involved and invested in this county effort.
While we sit at the table for these larger efforts, we want to ensure residents also have access to resources to make a difference in their families, businesses and communities. Below is a dynamic list of toolkits, websites, and reports that will help guide your efforts to encourage others to live a heart healthy life.
- Million Hearts Campaign - Here you'll find a treasure trove of health tips, recipes, toolkits, reports and information on events from the national Million Hearts Campaign on which Hearts of Sonoma County is based
- American Heart Association - The go-to source for everything you need to learn more about the state of cardiac health in the United States, news, reports, and opportunities to make a difference in your community
More useful tools and guides to improve heart health
- Keep Your Heart Healthy
- Heart Healthy Foods: Shopping list
- Manage Stress
- My Blood Pressure Wallet Card
- Be Active Your Way Widget
- Daily Food and Activity Diary
- Heart Attack Risk Assessment Tool
We know that some cardiac emergencies cannot be avoided, so be prepared to respond anytime, anywhere! Sign up for CPR class with Healthquest CPR, a service of PHCD, and be ready to save a life!