Welcome and Warm Wishes for Healthy New Year!
By The PHCD Team | December 31, 2013
Welcome to the Petaluma Health Care District's blog, Community Health. We're so excited to be launching Community Health, and we hope you'll find it to be a useful tool to learn more about the District, our programs and services, the amazing work of our partners, and general health news that affects our community.
Let’s start with a quick history of the District: for more than 65 years, PHCD has worked to improve the health of our local community. As a community owned and operated public agency, PHCD is uniquely positioned to meet the changing health needs of Petaluma residents. The District’s staff and locally elected board members have a responsibility to use resources effectively and efficiently to achieve the greatest health outcomes of residents. For more information on the District and its distinguished history, please click here.
- Committed $170,000 to programs, services, and events to improve the health of our community;
- Provided Personal Emergency Response Service (PERS) to approximately 3,400 residents across six counties through our Lifeline of the North Bay program, and qualified as one of the top five performing Lifeline programs in the US;
- Trained nearly 2,000 individuals in CPR, AED, and First Aid through our American Heart Association Healthquest program;
- Launched the HeartSafe Community Program in collaboration with local police and fire departments, Petaluma Valley Hospital, and the American Heart Association;
- In partnership with the Petaluma Health Center and with support from Sonoma County Human Services Department and the Blue Shield of California Foundation, held a Health Care Reform Community Forum and reached over 80 local residents;
- Began our due diligence to determine the future state of Petaluma Valley Hospital and how best to support the future health needs of our community;
- Further aligned our Community Health Initiative of the Petaluma Area (CHIPA) efforts with Sonoma County Health Action 2020, and launched our CHIPA Work Groups focused on educational attainment, wellness and prevention, and mental and behavioral health;
- Became a major sponsor and supporter of the year-round Petaluma East Side Farmer’s Market which accepts Cal Fresh/EBT Cards and offers users an additional $10 to buy healthy and delicious local produce and goods;
- Through our corporate sponsorship with the Petaluma Education Foundation and our partnership with St. Joseph Health, selected two Petaluma schools to participate in the Healthy for Life program beginning in 2014;
- Took the social media leap, and redesigned our website, established a Facebook page, and launched our blog!
I hope you’ll stay informed of the District’s continued great work. Please check back here for regular updates, stories of success, events, and important health news.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday and a healthy 2014!
Ramona Faith, MSN, RN
Chief Executive Officer