Become a CHIPA Youth Member and help improve the health of Petaluma!
Are you interested in a career in medicine or public health?
Do you have great ideas on how to improve your neighborhood, school, or community?
Applications now available for the 2019-2020 CHIPA Youth Member program!
Completed applications should be submitted to Halley Cloud, Program Manager
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the PHCD office at 1425 N McDowell Blvd., Suite 103, Petaluma CA.
↓ View or download the application (PDF)
If you would like a physical copy of the application mailed or emailed to you, please contact Halley Cloud at hcloud@phcd,org.
Why is youth participation in CHIPA so important?
CHIPA members are working together to improve the health of all residents in the Petaluma area by addressing important social, economic, and environmental factors that affect everyone’s health, support healthy behaviors and lifestyles, and ensure has access to quality health care and social services.
The experiences, knowledge and connections of our young people are critical to our collective understanding of the health of our community. CHIPA Youth Members are active participants in CHIPA and its Work Groups. They bring a powerful perspective to our work and propose unique ideas for addressing needs and supporting assets in our community. In addition, CHIPA Youth Members gain valuable leadership experience, make connections to local industry leaders, and learn alongside their CHIPA Adult Ally.
What are some of the benefits of being a CHIPA Youth Member?
Participating on CHIPA is a great opportunity to make a difference in your community. Other benefits include:
- Earning a monetary award up to $180 ($20 per meeting attended)
- Earning community service credit required by many high schools and colleges
- Developing your leadership skills and get involved in local government
- Exploring future education tracks and new career opportunities
- Learning about issues affecting your community and how you can take action
- Meeting new people while having fun!
Who can apply to become a CHIPA Youth Member?
Young people interested in being an official youth member should:
- Live or attend school in PHCD service area (Petaluma, Penngrove, and Cotati)
- Be between the ages of 16-21 years old
- Be able to attend monthly CHIPA meetings held at the Petaluma Health Care District office at 1425 N. McDowell Blvd.
How do I become a CHIPA Youth Member?
A new cohort of Youth Members are selected each fall and serve for the remainder of the school year. All interested youth should complete and submit an application. Applicants will partake in a short group interview and orientation in October, and up to 10 CHIPA Youth Members will be selected.
All Youth Members will be paired with an Adult Ally. An Adult Ally is a current CHIPA Work Group Member who will partner with the Youth Member during meetings, answer questions, and serve as a go-to source of support during the Youth Members time on CHIPA.
If you have any questions, please contact Halley Cloud at email@example.com.